Community Support Worker
Students will participate in a problem solving, case study, learner-centered approach to education. Students will thrive in this learning environment if they are a responsible, self-determining person, able to engage in cooperative, collaborative, team-oriented learning with the guidance and support of expert instructors.
Successful graduates of this program enter the professional world with confidence, knowing they have both the theoretical classroom skills and the hands-on, practical experience to make a real difference in their new career.
- TOEFL iBT
Applicants must meet all of these requirements prior to acceptance into the program:
- Grade 12 graduation from BC secondary school or equivalent (ABE, GED) or equivalent from another school system OR be a mature applicant (19 years of age on the first day of class);
- If a mature applicant then provide proof of completion of grade 10 English from a BC secondary school or equivalent from another school system OR complete a Discovery Community College English assessment;
- Signed consent for a criminal records check under the Criminal Records Review Program (CRRP).
Applicants who are non-native English users (who have not completed grade 10 English as described above) must provide proof of satisfactory English proficiency as follows (either IELTS or TOEFL or an equivalent test):
- IELTS overall band score level 6.0 and a minimum score of 6.0 in each of speaking, listening, reading, writing;
- TOEFL total score 60-78 and minimum individual scores of Reading 13-18, Listening 12-19, Speaking 18-19, Writing 21-23.
- Community Social Service Agencies;
- Support Services;
- Group Home Settings;
- The Public School System as support personnel for children with special needs.