MSc Data Science
Studying this Masters, students will learn the mathematical foundations of statistics, data mining and machine learning, and apply these to practical, real-world data.
As well as these statistical skills, students will learn the computational techniques needed to efficiently analyse very large data sets. They will apply these skills to a range of real-world data, under the guidance of experts in that domain.
The degree will culminate in a final project in which students can apply their skills and follow their specialist interests.
The programme includes:
- A firm grounding in the theory of data mining, statistics and machine learning
- Hands-on practical real-world applications such as social media, biomedical data and financial data with Hadoop (used by Yahoo!, Facebook, Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, IBM, Amazon, and many others), R and other specialised software
- The opportunity to work with real-world software such as Apache
- An undergraduate degree of at least upper second class standard in computing, physics and engineering, mathematical sciences or finance, and an interest in and capability for working in interdisciplinary contexts.
In exceptional circumstances, outstanding practitioners or individuals with strong commercial experience may be considered.
If English isn’t your first language, you will need an IELTS score (or equivalent English language qualification) of 6.5 with a 6.5 in writing and no element lower than 6.0 to study this programme.
- Data Scientist
- Data Mining Analyst
- Big Data Analyst
- Hadoop Developer
- NoSQL Database Developer
- R Programmer
- Python Programmer
- Researcher in Data Science and Data Mining