Master of Science in Applied Economics
This master’s programme provides you with a solid foundation in core economic disciplines, and the tools you need to apply economics in real-life situations. It has a quantitative focus and integrates data science techniques to simulate economic models and analyse data. You will apply theories and empirical results to solve economic problems and societal issues, analyse markets, and prescribe optimal business solutions.
You will develop strong analytical skills and learn a framework for analysis that can be applied to a great variety of areas, ranging from international trade, ESG (environmental, social, and governance), business cycles and financial markets, to firm competitiveness, market analysis, and strategic behaviour. You will specialise in industrial organization and macroeconomics, and will be particularly well prepared for a career as a macro analyst or economics consultant, equipped to work with sustainability challenges.
- TOEFL iBT
General admission requirements
- A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credits) in the field of business administration, finance or economics
- A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS) with a minimum of 80 ECTS credits within a field of study that is relevant to the specialisation of the MSc degree programme
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.50 (B) on an ECTS scale
- Minimum grade C in courses relevant to the MSc degree programme
Standardised admission tests:
If your bachelor’s degree is from a country outside Norway/Nordics, you must submit your result from one of the tests below and achieve the minimum scores indicated:
- GMAT: 600
- GRE: 158 (Quantitative). There is no minimum requirement for the verbal reasoning score, but the higher the score the better it is for your application.
If your first language is not English, and you are not from Norway/Nordics, you must demonstrate English competency with one of the following*:
- IELTS Academic overall score of 6.5
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 90
- Pearson PTE Academic overall score of 62
- University of Cambridge exams:
- C1 Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English, CAE) overall score of 176
- C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English, CPE) overall score of 180
Official university/college transcripts and diplomas
Motivation letter: Describe your dreams and ambitions, and how they relate to your choice of MSc programme at BI.
Curriculum Vitae (CV): Upload a one-page CV including relevant education, work and volunteer experience, and any academic, sport, or leadership achievements.
Programme specific admission requirements for Master of Science in Applied Economics
A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credits) in the field of business administration, finance, or economics.
A successfully completed Bachelor's degree with a specialisation (minimum 80 ECTS) in one of the following fields, provided that the combination of courses gives a good foundation for further studies within Applied Economics:
- Political Science
- Quantitative Psychology
- Quantitative Social Science
- Natural Science
- Computer Science
The Bachelor’s degree must include the following courses:
- Statistics or Econometrics
- Two courses in Economics
a minimum grade of C in courses of particular relevance to the MSc programme.
- Economics consulting/ management consulting
- Chief Economist
- Macro/micro analyst
- Strategic advisor
- Data analyst