Master of Science in Quantitative Finance
The globalisation of today’s financial markets has led to increased international competition and a growing need for candidates who combine a deep understanding of financial theory with strong quantitative skills. Since companies today have access to large amounts of data, they need employees who can process and analyse financial data to make strategic decisions. The Master of Science in Quantitative Finance will provide you with the skills to assess problems, analyse them through advanced modelling, and make informed decisions.
The courses will provide you with both quantitative and programming skills from topics covering numerical analysis, stochastic models, statistics, and econometrics. You will learn to use data and technology to better understand complex financial relationships and manage assets, evaluate risk factors, and maximize profitability. This combination of quantitative and analytical skills is easily transferable to other business disciplines beyond finance, which will make you a valuable candidate for employment across industries.
- TOEFL iBT
General admission requirements
- A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credits) in the field of business administration, finance or economics
- A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS) with a minimum of 80 ECTS credits within a field of study that is relevant to the specialisation of the MSc degree programme
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.50 (B) on an ECTS scale
- Minimum grade C in courses relevant to the MSc degree programme
Standardised admission tests:
If your bachelor’s degree is from a country outside Norway/Nordics, you must submit your result from one of the tests below and achieve the minimum scores indicated:
- GMAT: 600
- GRE: 158 (Quantitative). There is no minimum requirement for the verbal reasoning score, but the higher the score the better it is for your application.
If your first language is not English, and you are not from Norway/Nordics, you must demonstrate English competency with one of the following*:
- IELTS Academic overall score of 6.5
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 90
- Pearson PTE Academic overall score of 62
- University of Cambridge exams:
- C1 Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English, CAE) overall score of 176
- C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English, CPE) overall score of 180
Official university/college transcripts and diplomas
Motivation letter: Describe your dreams and ambitions, and how they relate to your choice of MSc programme at BI.
Curriculum Vitae (CV): Upload a one-page CV including relevant education, work and volunteer experience, and any academic, sport, or leadership achievements.
Programme specific admission requirements for Master of Science in Quantitative Finance
A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS) with a specialisation (minimum 80 ECTS credits) in one of the following, provided that the combination of courses gives a good foundation for further studies within quantitative finance:
A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS) in the field of business administration with a highly quantitative specialisation (80 ECTS). The business degree must include the following foundation courses, or equivalent:
- Statistics or Econometrics
And the following intermediate level courses, or equivalent:
- Calculus and Linear Algebra
The Bachelor's degree must include the following courses, or equivalent:
- Calculus and Linear Algebra (intermediate level)
- Probability and Statistics
- Equity Research
- Finance Analyst
- Market Research Consultant
- Jr. Recruiter & Program Coordinator